Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Count my blessings..

Since birth, I've had bronchitis. In simple terms, asthma.
Going in and out of the hospital was like a daily routine to me.

I still remembered the first time I had an asthma attack, I was rushed to
the hospital A&E department. A nurse attended to me and gave me some
'air' in a mask thingy, which I called the elephant nose. In this 'air', there were some
medicine pumped into the liquid which was supposed to make my airway clear up.
And that was not all.. after the air-mask thing, I was brought to another station
whereby the nurse poked a needle into one of the veins on my hand and then put a little
board underneath the hand as a support. The first time the nurse did that, I cried like mad!
Thinking about it, it was such a funny sight!
Throughout my whole life until primary school ended, I was admitted to hospital for more
than 8 time due to asthma attacks and breathlessness.

There was one particular time which I remembered so clearly.
It was a near-death experience for me.

I was at my Great-Grandmother's wake. It was past midnight and we stayed over to keep
a lookout. I was eating some peanuts and drinking the distilled packet water.
Out of a sudden, I had shortness of breath and blacked out for about 3 seconds.
I could still remember that I was gasping for air, clasping my chest and I just ran out
of the block and into the car-park area aimlessly.
My mother saw me and alerted my relatives.. she was screaming out my name, holding
onto me so tightly. My grandma was also very frantic, shouting out "What happened??!".
I was immediately driven to Changi General Hospital A&E. Again I was given the air-mask
and luckily everything went fine. I need not have to stay for observation.
However, the checkup done showed that I had lung infection which was quite minor.
After that incident, whenever I'm at a wake, I never dared to touch packet water and peanuts again.

Just last Saturday, I started to cough really badly and at the same time I also had a bad sorethroat.
To add on, I had no strength to move about freely and a sudden migraine struck me.
The pain in my head was like someone pounding my skull so damn hard! It was unbearable!
I took panadol and rested but after an hour the pain was still there..
So I prayed and as I prayed, tears fell.
The tears weren't tears of pain, but rather tears of joy. I could sense God being there for me,
looking after me as I was ill.

I am a weak girl, with an average immunity system. I tend to get sick easily and take a longer time to recover.

But to be able to live till this day, I really gotta thank God.
He knows when I need his help, when I'm weak and when I need Him by my side.
I'm really blessed to have escaped death, and have such a wonderful family.
I'm also blessed to have made many great friends and also finding my amazing partner.

No comments: