Thursday, March 8, 2012

Make It Right For A Better Ride

Have you ever woken up to a bright and cheerful day and have it ruined by ungracious commuters 
on buses and trains? 
Have you ever experienced trying to get up a bus after a tiring day in school or work and being forced to take the next bus because the commuters refuse to move to the rear?
Have you ever had difficulty trying to get out of the train because of commuters overcrowding the 
entrance/exit of the train doors? 

I'm sure everyone has experienced at least one or more of the above.

As for me, I experienced all of the above(I'm serious!!!) and this is one of my many encounters:

Looking at my watch, it was 6pm, like finally! Having been in school from Monday to Friday from
8:30am, I really felt so lethargic. So, 6pm was a really happy time for me during my FYP period. 
I walked really quickly to the bus stop and waited for the bus to head home. 
As it was peak hour, there were quite alot of students at the bus stop, all anticipating to quickly get
up the bus and go home for a nice shower and dinner. 


After a 5 minutes wait, my bus arrived. (F.Y.I, I took bus 265 at the bus stop opposite NYP)
The bus was packed but there were some empty seats and empty spaces at the middle of the bus. 
About 2-3 commuters alighted, thus having a little more space for the rest to move in.
However, those commuters just stand at their places, refusing to move to the rear despite knowing
that there's many students waiting to board. 
The bus captain tried his very best to ask the commuters to move in but to no avail. 


So, he had no choice but to leave all of us behind and we've to wait for the next bus. 



No one would love to his/her day ruined by just a handful of ungracious commuters, right?
And if you're in my shoes, I'm pretty sure you'll be as furious as I am.

To move to the rear of the bus or to give way to commuters exiting the train is not a very difficult thing
to do.

Some advice for all you commuters who take the public transport daily like I do!

First and most important thing to consider before you decide to rush to enter the trains is:
- Put yourselves in the alighting commuter's shoes. If that was you, and commuters outside just rush and bang onto you before you can even get out of the train, how would you feel? 


Secondly:
- When you give way, there won't be any unnecessary disputes and you might just get a smile or a
'Thank You' in return. Doesn't that make your day even better to know that you are being considerate
and gracious? :)


Thirdly:
- By moving into the rear of the buses, you're allowing other commuters to board the bus and they would
be able to get home quickly to see their love ones, just like how you want to get home so badly after a long, tiring day. You'll be doing them a favor and also for yourselves by being a thoughtful Singaporean!


Lastly:
- When you see an elderly, pregnant woman or a handicap person, please make way for them and give
up your seats for them. Again, put yourselves in their shoes, you wouldn't want to be left standing there for 
your whole journey, correct?? :D



So, why not make things easier for everybody and of course, yourselves!
Be a gracious and considerate commuter today and for the rest of your life! :)
Because, you're AWESOME like that!!!!



Join the “Make It Right For A Better Ride” Twitter contest and stand to win a pair of movie tickets! More details on http://on.fb.me/betterride

No comments: